I love my iPad. It’s easy to travel with, it keeps my kids entertained, and my husband can watch movies on it. But when I’m away from my laptop, I miss having a keyboard. The touch screen is fine for using apps, writing quick messages, and playing games, but when I need to write a lengthy email or want to do a blog post, it is just plain tedious. Enter the iPad 2 Keyboard Capsule from Rocketfish.
iPad 2 Keyboard Capsule is a Bluetooth capable keyboard, hard shell iPad case and stand all in one. It has a rechargeable battery and comes with a USB cable for charging. The Keyboard Capsule can pair with two devices at the same time and quickly switch between them, so you can use it with your iPad 2 and your iPhone, or in my case, my PlayStation 3! The case also puts your iPad 2 into sleep mode when closed.
Here’s what I love about the iPad 2 Keyboard Capsule:
- It’s easy to insert and remove the iPad.
- The case is very sturdy. It makes me feel like my iPad is well protected should my kids stand on it (I do not recommend this, but these sorts of things occasionally happen when you have young kids).
- It’s really easy and quick to pair it with the iPad 2. After the first time, it’s just a matter of pressing the function key and pressing a dedicated button.
- The keyboard has buttons for the volume, home screen, a picture slideshow, select, cut, paste, play rewind, fast forward, search, on-screen keyboard, and lock.
Keyboard Capsule Cons:
- It is heavy and big compared to the iPad itself. The capsule weighs 2.2 lbs (the heaviest iPad 2 weighs in at 1.35 lbs) and is 1.4 inches thick (the iPad is only 0.34 inches).
- It can be unwieldy. I do wish the keyboard came out of the capsule for working on your lap.
- It really only works well in landscape mode.
Overall, I like the case. I frequently take it with me when I’m driving the kids to their activities. It still fits in my bag and I don’t worry about the iPad getting damaged as I’m running in and out of the various locations. I also like it for longer business trips when I’ve got all of my bags. It allows me to easily take notes and it still weighs less than my laptop. With shorter trips, I’d be less inclined to take it, as it adds weight and bulk to my carryon.
The iPad 2 Keyboard Capsule is available from Best Buy and retails for $99.99.
Disclosure: I have received the reviewed product from Best Buy for free. There was no promise of a positive review and the opinions contained in this post are my own. Image courtesy of Best Buy.