So I slacked off with the announcement of Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition). Disney Infinity is the most played video game in our house, largely due to the creativity allowed in the Toy Box Mode. They love working together to create new worlds and experiences.
They new game will arrive in the Fall of 2014. It expands the Disney Infinity universe to include super heroes (and villains), so you can expect to see favorites like Captain America, Black Widow, Iron Man, the Hulk, and Thor. Original Disney Infinity characters and power discs will work in Toy Box mode. Saved Toy Boxes will still work in the new edition, and the Disney Infinity base is still compatible as well.
Here’s the announcement of Disney Infinity 2.0. It’s long, but if you’re a fan, it’s worth it. Skip to 31:30 if you just want to see/hear new features. I’ve also summarized them below.
Some of the highlights include:
- Character Locomotion – Hover, forward flight, super jump, wall crawl, and fighting while flying
- Special Skills and Combat – Different classes of characters, with their own strength, and skills. Some combat examples include ranged melee, close melee, ranged, and brawl.
- Attributes and Skill Tree – Ability to upgrade specific moves, stats, etc., as you level up.
Toy Box Mode
- Structured play – Games via Toy Box Game Discs, multi-hour mini games like Tower Defense, and Dungeon Crawl
- Usability– Simplification of Toy Box mode – Brushes to create environments, Builders who will build for you
- Interiors – Place a door on any building and build inside to create an interior. And also create “home” that showcases progress through the game with trophies and special objects
- New Logic Toys – Fade in/fade out, stats/results screens, to allow for creating full game experiences. Templates to make game creation faster.
- Costume changes – Change costumes or alter the physical experience of other characters
- Team –up – Bring other characters in with you to help
- Vehicles – Two-wheeled vehicles, two-passenger vehicles, and morphing vehicles
They will continue to promote user-generated content (which will be even more robust with the new tools) and to provide their own additional (free content).
Today, Disney announced that Merida and Maleficent will be joining Disney Infinity 2.0 in the fall. They both look amazing and I’m thrilled the Disney has added in some fantastic female characters, since the Marvel characters are predominantly male.
Disney Infinity 2.0 will support PS4, XBOX ONE, as well as the PS3, XBOX 360, and Wii U. There will also continue to be PC and iOS integration.